Sometimes I run across an article by someone who makes my point so well, I can’t resist quoting it. In this case it is Nicholas D. Kristof of the New York Times on June 27, 2012. Please take his test and view the bottom for the correct answers.
In each case, identify whether it was Obama or Romney who made the statement.
1. On abortion: “I will preserve and protect a woman’s right to choose and am devoted and dedicated to honoring my word in that regard.”
2. “I am fighting for an overturning of Roe v. Wade.”
3. On gay rights: “As we seek to establish full equality for America’s gay and lesbian citizens, I will provide more effective leadership than my opponent.”
4. On the 2009 economic stimulus: “No time, nowhere, no how.”
5. “There is need for economic stimulus. Americans have lost about $11 trillion in net worth. That translates into about $400 billion a year less spending that they’ll be doing. … Government can help make that up in a very difficult time. And that’s one of the reasons why I think a stimulus program is needed.”
6. On climate science: “I believe that climate change is occurring — the reduction in the size of global ice caps is hard to ignore. I also believe that human activity is a contributing factor.”
7. “Do I think the world’s getting hotter? Yeah, I don’t know that, but I think that it is. … I don’t know if it’s mostly caused by humans. … What I’m not willing to do is spend trillions of dollars on something I don’t know the answer to.”
8. On health care: “It’s critical to insure more people in this country. It doesn’t make sense to have 45 million people without insurance. It’s not good for them because they don’t get good preventative care … but it’s not good for the rest of the citizens either, because if people aren’t insured, they go to the emergency room for their care when they get very sick. That’s expensive. They don’t have any insurance to cover it. So guess who pays? Everybody else.”
9. On financial bailouts: “The idea of trying to bail out an institution to protect the shareholders or to protect a certain interest group, that’s a terrible idea. And that shouldn’t happen.”
10. “TARP got paid back, and it kept the financial system from collapsing. … Well, it was the right thing to do.”
Every quote above is from Mitt Romney. Need I say more?